India Home is always looking for committed volunteers!
Please fill out the form below to become a volunteer.
Are you interested in a paid internship with us?
Summer Research Internship 2017
India Home is hiring five full-time Summer Research Interns. The Research Interns will help India Home gather data for the first ever Needs Assessment of South Asian seniors in New York City. Immigrant South Asian seniors are often overlooked in social service agencies, community settings, and public policy priorities. They face issues of social isolation, limited English proficiency, poverty, health difficulties, transportation difficulties, and more. As a significant part of the growing immigrant older adult population, South Asian seniors are consistently underserved through services. India Home aims to gather objectively verifiable data to make a strong case for increased focus on South Asian seniors.
Each intern will be expected to:
– Complete 200 surveys from across New York City from South Asians aged 60+
– Outreach in popular shopping areas and houses of worship where South Asians are present
– Plan weekly logistics with the Deputy Director and fellow interns for travel and outreach purposes
– Travel across New York City where there are large South Asian communities (such as Staten Island, eastern Queens, north-eastern Bronx, etc.)
– Input survey data into a database
– Take notes on qualitative feedback that survey participants may express
– Inform survey participants of India Home’s services
– Inform survey participants of local services for older adults
– Enter homes of survey participants should they be homebound
Each intern will have a different language fluency. The languages we are looking for are: Bengali, Gujarati, Nepali, Pashto, Punjabi. Those who speak Hindi and Urdu in addition to the aforementioned languages will be given extra consideration.
The position will start on July 5th, 2017. It will be full time (40 hours/week) for eight weeks until August 25th, 2017.
About the Organization
India Home, Inc. is a senior center nonprofit based in Queens. We provide culturally appropriate senior center programs, recreational activities and advocacy programs for South Asian older adults across the borough. From our start in 2008, we have touched the lives of hundreds of seniors around Queens and worked with many community groups to promote and advocate for senior services. We are in an expansion phase where we are reaching new populations and re-energizing our outreach for our existing centers.
The central office is in Forest Hills, but we have programs all over Queens. Please visit our website for more details: www.indiahome.org
– Current undergraduate student
– Previous experience working in community setting with diverse populations
– Ability to maintain a calm and professional attitude in public settings
– Previous experience in customer service, cold calling, or street outreach
– Ability to work efficiently and independently
– Strong verbal communication skills
– Ability to travel long distances on public transportation
– Open mind to all cultures, faiths, traditions, and backgrounds
We have one position for each language ability. Fluency is a MUST:
Bengali (Hindi and Urdu language ability a plus)
Nepali or Tibetan (Hindi and Urdu language ability a plus)
Gujarati (Hindi and Urdu language ability a plus)
Pashto or Dari (Hindi and Urdu language ability a plus)
Punjabi (Hindi and Urdu language ability a plus)
Salary & How to apply:
Each intern will receive a summer stipend of $1,500 for the full eight weeks of work. Each intern will also receive two monthly metrocards over the course of the internship.
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include contact information for two professional references.